Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Panopticon

Imagine a world where classrooms are set up like investigation rooms with absolutely no knowledge of what is on the other side of the one way mirror having the intentions of always keeping you in line, would it work? This idea sounds terrifying and overpowering, if I were in that classroom I would feel like an animal being watched at the zoo. This is not something I would ever like to imagine actually happening and do not believe it would ever work. If this were to come into effect my prediction would be that the bad students would still do bad things and the good students have nothing to worry about. If I walk down the street today and constantly have a patrol car follow me yes it would be very annoying but in reality it would just be a waste of their time because I know that I will not do anything illegal. Although I have nothing to hide this bugs me because it is completely unconstitutional. By putting this idea into motion the government is treating us like a test subject. However I am all for using this idea in jails all over because those are the specific type of people you need to be watching constantly. Using this practice of maybe watching and maybe not the inmates will have to stay on their toes at all times. But by using this concept in both prisons and public schools makes them feel the same. If I were to walk into this futuristic school I would already feel as if I had done something wrong to get there and I doubt that would make a better environment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment